Libya
At least seven Sudanese migrants were found dead on Friday after their vehicle broke down and left them stranded for days deep in the Libyan desert, according to an ambulance service official.
The car was carrying 34 Sudanese when it broke down after crossing Libya’s border from Chad and onto a deserted path often used by smugglers, Ebrahim Belhassan, director of the Kufra Ambulance and Emergency Services, told The Associated Press.
They were discovered in the sand dunes after 11 days, having run out of food and water, he said.
“The survivors were almost about to die. They are severely dehydrated and exhibiting signs of distress and trauma with such circumstances and given that they’re seeing those around them dying and they know if they will die next,” he said.
The 22 rescued, including five children, were transferred to Kufra in southeastern Libya for further medical checkups.
Five people are missing, but Belhassan said hopes were slim they would survive on foot in a vast desert.
A smuggler who found them alerted emergency crews, Belhassan said.
Libya, which shares borders with six nations and has a long coastline along the Mediterranean, is a main transit point for migrants fleeing war and poverty in Africa and the Middle East to seek better lives in Europe.
The International Organization for Migration estimates around 787,000 migrants and refugees from various nationalities lived in Libya as of 2024.
During last year, the Kufra ambulance service responded to emergencies involving more than 260 Sudanese migrants found in the desert, Belhassan said.
01:04
Trump to review refugee admissions under Biden - Memo
Go to video
Amnesty: RSF committed war crimes in Sudan’s Darfur
01:16
Sudan's Rapid Support Forces to enter into a three-month humanitarian truce
01:09
EU sanctions Sudan RSF leader over war crimes
01:37
Pregnant women flee Sudan conflict amid life-threatening conditions
Go to video
Sudan official visits displaced shelters, pledges RSF defeat